Friday, July 21, 2006

Rebecca Continues Her Crazy Adventures








Move over Sue Grant. Here I am getting ready to take flight from the Santa Ynez (California) Airport. Of course, this glider is considerably smaller than the jumbo jets you fly.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I wasn't the pilot. An experienced glider pilot steered the craft.

First we were towed on a long wire in back of a small plane. Then the pilot had me release the lever holding the tow wire, and we glided over the countryside north of Santa Barbara--including over the edge of Reagan's former ranch.

It was an exciting experience. When we were being towed by the small plane, we wobbled a bit, which made me nervous. I felt better when we were floating free.

Ruth/Rebecca

3 comments:

Lucy Monroe said...

Oh, my gosh! What fun! Despite my fear of heights, I have *always* wanted to try that.

Yasmine Galenorn said...

That looks like a blast, Rebecca! Of course, I'd be terrified out of my mind (not afraid of flying, but that's both very small--claustrophobia--and very small--not much to hold you up!

BTW: bought one of your books the other day but in this heat, for the life of me I cannot remember the title. :)

Yasmine

Susan Grant said...

Oh, Ruth! Isn't gliding the most incredible thing? It was the first craft I ever soloed in back in my academy days. What struck me the most the the utter silence because you are so used to flying with engines. I imagine it's how eagles feel, soaring on the currents. How neat that you got the chance to do this.