Sunday, February 15, 2009

VALENTINE'S DAY

Here are the two halves of my personality: writing suspense and cooking. I'm baking cookies wearing the KGB tee shirt I got in Moscow a couple of years ago.

My son, who’s a Foreign Service Officer on a Provincial Reconstruction Team in Afghanistan, asked for some sugar cookies. I haven’t baked cookies in a couple of years, but I wanted to send him some. As it turned out, I got a lot of great help from my grandkids and from their other grandmother, who is up visiting from Bristol, Tennessee. I got up early and made the dough. After lunch, we all cut out some cookies. Then I left the rest of the team with the cookie cutters and made a batch of dough for "rocks," which are spice cookies.

On the right, grandson Jesse is in the foreground, and Leo is in the background. We all ate a lot of cookies Saturday. Then my daughter (who had to work at her library most of the day) and I packed up the ones for my son. To avoid temptation, I sent the rest home with her and the kids. Now I’m wishing I had a few here. Of course, it’s better that they’re out of the house.


One more shot from the day–the best one of me. It shows Ozzie’s usual reaction to my paying attention to her daughter, Harriet.




Rebecca

4 comments:

Linda Wisdom said...

Love the pictures, Ruth! I bet your son will be ecstatic to get the cookies that's obviously baked with a lot of love.

Linda

Mary Marvella said...

You look so domestic! Love the pictures and would like about 6 of the cookies. Good thing I don't bake often.

Please give our thanks to your son for his service to our great country!

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Yum! Can I have some? I love baking cookies...just don't get the chance to do it much anymore!

Anonymous said...

KGB, cookies,kiddies, and kitties--what a mix!