Friday, November 17, 2006

A great writer died today

This is a very sad day for me. Jack Williamson died. He was one of the giants of the science fiction field, and one of my personal inspirations.

Jack Williamson is the reason I'm writing werewolf books today. I read his DARKER THAN YOU THINK when I was a teenager. He made me want to BE a werewolf. I carried that story around with me for years. Then I read THE WOLF'S HOUR, by Robert McCammon, and I was enthralled all over again.

When I started contemplating KILLING MOON, paranormal was very much out. But I started thinking about a book with a werewolf detective who used his wolf senses to solve crimes. Even thought I doubted I could sell the story, it simply wouldn't let me go. Finally my friend Mary Kilchenstein, who writes as Mary Kirk, told me in her blunt way that she was tired of hearing me talk about the idea. So I should either write it or shut up. I accepted the challenge and started working on what became KILLING MOON.

There were many different directions in which I could have taken the story, but I stuck with what I love, romantic suspense. I was pretty sure that to sell single title paranormal romantic suspense, I'd have to write the whole book, not just do a proposal. So I worked on KILLING MOON around my Intrigue schedule. Cindy Hwang at Berkley loved the story and bought it. Then she asked me for more werewolf books. That's how I found myself with a werewolf series that I hadn't planned for.


Jack Williamson published his first story, "The Metal Man," in 1928 when he was 20. His last book, THE STONEHENGE GATE was published recently. He won the Hugo and Nebula awards for his work and lifetime achievement honors from the World Fantasy Convention and the Horror Writers of America. And he was named a Grand Master of science fiction by what is now the Science Fiction Writers of America. What a career! Few writers can equal him.
Ruth

No comments: