Monday, May 23, 2005

WRW Retreat

I'm just back from the Washington Romance Writers Retreat. What a fabulous weekend. I had a great time hanging out with Angela Knight, Jasmine Cresswell, and Mary Jo Putney and a lot of other friends I don't get to see on a regular basis. I'm thrilled to tell you that at the awards ceremony, WRW gave me The Prolific Pen Award--for publishing 100 books. And Mary Jo presented it to me. As a special treat, I got a tarot card reading from Nora Roberts. Wow. It was fun--and reassuring. I hope the cards are right, and I'm on the right track in my life and my career.

Before the retreat we had a book signing at Turn the Page, the bookstore in Boonsboro owned by Nora and her husband Bruce Wilder. It's not an enormous store, but we had over 200 people--on a rainy day. Bruce has to give out tickets with letters of the alphabet--and let the customers in in groups. He has four big book signings a year. It's worth going if you live anywhere nearby. Or even if you don't. One couple had come from California to attend. (The husband had given his lucky wife a trip to TTP as an anniversary present.)

WRW holds their retreat in Harpers Ferry every year--at Hilltop House. The hotel is in a spectacular location--overlooking the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. The scenery is world class. But the hotel is old and creaky. I can't stand staying there. So my husband and I stayed at a nearby B&B--of which there are many in Harpers Ferry. It was walking distance from the hotel, so I could easily go back and forth. (The rain cleared up by Friday afternoon.)

Rebecca

No comments: